This year is a wrap! Thanks for all theresources that many have shared. Below is some year-end news. There are alsoresources and PD opportunities to explore over the summer. This newsletter is archived at http://polyglotpress.blogspot.com/
· Fo Roldán, currently at MonroeMiddle and previously at Porter Ridge High, is retiring to golf courses andtime in Colombia.
· Bonvoyage and best wishes to Sun Valley French teacher, Yseult Bougyues, who is returning to Paris after three years as aVIF / Participate teacher.
· GuteFahrt to Marvin Ridge HS German teacher, LeahSmith, who is joining the Peace Corps.
· Congratulationsto Daniel Sellner on the birth ofhis second daughter, Hope. Best wishes also to Daniel Sellner who is transferring to Marvin Ridge High to teachGerman. Daniel has lead classes and German clubs at Cuthbertson and WeddingtonHigh the last five years while moving books, classrooms, décor and materialsevery other semester.
· Bestwishes to Rosana Gonzales as sheleaves South Providence School for Carmel Middle School in CMS.
· Bestwishes to Morgann Lyles who leavesFrench teaching at Porter Ridge High for future endeavors.
· Congratulations!Spanish teacher Amanda Mancilla ofCentral Academy just completed her Masters of Education in Teaching English to Speakers of otherLanguages (MEd TESOL) atUNC-Charlotte.
· Congratulationsto Neal Nelson from Parkwood HS whohas passed NC DPI ASW training as a reviewer for summer 2017.
· Mandarinteachers, Xiaohong HuMueller fromMRHS and Shannon Du from CHS/WHSrecently chaperoned 21 students competing in the Asian Festival’s Dragon BoatRaces. The team won the high school division once again taking home metals forall. This dragon boat races includes teams from out-of-state and often fromCanada. Mark your calendar for next year if you have not ever attended. Mandarinteacher Xiaohong HuMueller and Spanishteacher Fernando Flores, both fromMarvin Ridge HS, jumped aboard the21 person boat and helped the HS team to victory this year. http://www.charlottedragonboat.com/
· Sherry Edwards at Piedmont HS hosted a16 year old guest speaker and exchange student from Toulouse, France in herFrench 2 class to speak to students.
· Sherry Edwards has also been acceptedto the 2017 NCAE Instructional Leadership Institute!
· Yadiraliz Hawks’ Spanish studentsperformed a Mexican and a Colombian dance on Cinco the mayo for each lunch inthe courtyard at Monroe HS.
· Soledad Townsend and Dennise Nelson’s Spanish 1 studentsfrom Parkwood and East Union Middle School, respectively, have been writing(paper letters) to each other this year at the end of each chapter. Soon, theywill meet for the first time face-to-face when the students share a field tripto the Mint Museum on Randolph Road to see the Pre-Colombian artifacts fromLatin America and eat at the Cuban restaurant A Piece of Havana.
· Juliet Kasler has found a gamifiedcurriculum for Latin instruction at Porter Ridge HS. UCPS Tech Services hasapproved the resource Operation Lapis for 2017-2018!
· Online – Find your own group toexplore language teaching, find resources, share ideas and ask questions.
o BreakOut Edu Spanishgroup on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/breakouteduspanish/
§ Basta con la Subasta https://games.breakoutedu.com/basta-con-la-subasta
§ Bonbons on the Bayou https://games.breakoutedu.com/bonbons-in-the-bayou
§ Break Out of French 2 https://games.breakoutedu.com/breakout-of-french-2
§ IN der Schule https://games.breakoutedu.com/in-der-schule
§ La caja misteriosa https://games.breakoutedu.com/la-caja-misteriosa
§ Los agentes secretos https://games.breakoutedu.com/los-agentes-secretos
o French Teachers in theUS group on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/FTUSA/
o iFLTA / NTPRS / CITeaching group on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/IFLTNTPRSCITEACHING/
o Spanish Teachers in theUS group on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/221167251425345
o Teachers of SpanishHeritage Speakers group on FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/942240065921862/
· August 14-15 “TheEuropean Union Today: the EU as a Global and Local Actor” and “The EuropeanUnion Citizen: Issues Facing the Contemporary European.” The Center forEuropean Studies will be hosting two-day study tours on UNC-Chapel Hill’scampus open to K-12 educators. Thisincludes meetings, discussions, and interactive sessions with faculty expertson European and EU studies as well as with practitioners in the Triangle.Additional sessions will be held on integrating content learned into theclassroom. Participants will be able to receive certification of two continuingeducation credits and approximately 20 hours of professional developmentprovided they complete the post-tour lesson plan and module creation. Hotelaccommodations and some meals will be provided to selected applicants for thenights of the conference – recipients will be contacted with more details ifselected. Deadline to apply: May 15 http://europe.unc.edu/eu-in-nc
· October 20-21,2017 FLANCFall Conference 2017 "Lighting Pathways To Proficiency" Durham,NC http://www.flanc.org/fall-conference
· November 17 – 19, 2017 ACTFLConference, 2017 Nashville,TN https://www.actfl.org/convention-expo
· March 15 – 17, 2018 SCOLTConference 2018 Orlando,FL http://www.scolt.org/
· FromSCOLT 2017 How Youth Learn: Ned'sGR8 8 – YouTube 6:12 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_BskcXTqpM
· Growth Mindset- What itis and how it works? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75GFzikmRY0
· NC DPI World LanguageTeacher opportunities and scholarships http://wlnces.ncdpi.wikispaces.net/WLEdOpps
· Amanda Mancilla recommends Google TourBuilder. Students could build a tourof places in the community https://goo.gl/BknuSZ
o Amanda has attendedfree tech webinars with http://www.simplek12.com/
o Google Cast forEducationpermits students to stream from their computer
· Mary K Thomas’s Piedmont HS Spanish studentsare using "voice to text" ontheir Chromebooks dictating sentences into their computers. Mary incorporatedthis into group work and gallery walks.
· Mary K Thomas shares scribble maps for Spanish 2 Chapter 3giving directions for getting around the community. https://www.scribblemaps.com This site would workwell with French 2 Chapter 2: Asking and Giving Directions, also. You can go tothe address for your school, to a university across the world and many otherlocations.
· Culturally AuthenticPictorial LexiconFind images of authentic products from numerous languages and cultures. Allimages are labeled as Common Sense media and can be used for free but must thesource must be sited. http://capl.washjeff.edu/browse.php
· Mentimeter.com Create visuallyengaging data gathering tools in which students provide opinions, answers, etc.https://www.mentimeter.com Responses can be displayed as word clouds, bargraphs, etc.
· Dr. Houlihan recommended UCPSteachers look at this TechnologyIntegration Matrix https://fcit.usf.edu/matrix/matrix/
Pedagogy for WLClasses
· How to Circle, How toCheck for Comprehension, How to Ask A Story https://martinabex.com/teacher-training/essential-strategies-for-tprsci-teachers/
· Try BreakOutEdu and simulate thepopular breakout games but in another language! players work collaboratively tosolve a series of critical thinking puzzles in order to open a locked box. https://games.breakoutedu.com/high
· Seterra Map Quiz game –French-Speaking Countries http://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3210 Thanks to SherryEdwards at Piedmont HS for sharing.
· Calligraphy YouTube Videoclips (shared by Fan Hong fromKensington ES)
o 木 Wood / Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmiEz_3kG7c
o 山 Mountain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhAlN5HXL4Q
o 水 Water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhrDe3AFmHo&list=PLDMOORgerrtPGyw88XOcuvuQRTj9mxgfv&index=37
o 休 Rest / Stop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPflAbNpcEw
o 国外超赞生动汉字教学 Vivid Teaching of Chinese Characters YouTube video 10:35minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbz_g6Kr7D4
· Mnemonics to LearnChinese Characters & Radicals – includes audio, http://www.chi.guru/learningchinesecharactersradicalspicturestoriesmnemonicsvocabulary/chafil36/368251.php
· 100 Most CommonRadicals:
o Markus version http://www.hackingchinese.com/media/100-radicals-markus.pdf
o Peter version http://www.hackingchinese.com/media/100-radicals-peter.pdf
· Radical Study http://www.zhongwen.com/xuan.htm
· Cram.com 3-sided flashcards–
o Radicals Set 1 (39 radicals) http://www.cram.com/flashcards/chinese-radicals-8526456 ,
o Radicals Set 2 (267 radicals) http://www.cram.com/flashcards/chinese-radicals-set-2-8526466
o Clonea set and customize it for your classroom. Download to MS Excel.
o Exportto Google Drive - Set 1 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YuLZzVgaH2Uh7mGyeQOQK9qsmiDYBKSUluUeWf1ldXs/edit#gid=298563619
o Exportto Google Drive – Set 2 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15atFtTRv7U5pvOFZex5ksMiutpHvaD2sqWPaFy4XCd8/edit#gid=692138841
· Chi.Guru.com - RadicalStudy http://www.chi.guru/learningchineseradicalslinedrawingsmeanings/01strokes/19968.php
· AirBnB en espa?ol https://www.airbnb.es/great authentic resources
· Seterra Map Quiz Game – Spanish-Speaking Countries http://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3153 Thanks to Sherry Edwards at Piedmont HS for sharing.
· Seterra Map Quiz Game –Spanish-Speaking Countries and Capitals http://online.seterra.com/en/vgp/3160 Thanks to Sherry Edwards at Piedmont HS for sharing.
· Mafia card game https://martinabex.com/2015/04/16/mafia-the-tci-game-of-all-games/ Thanks to Adam Brown at Weddington HS for sharing this gamethat focuses on comprehensible input. He uses it in Spanish 2 for practicingthe preterite tense.
· El espa?ol en Estados Unidos YouTube Video en espa?ol 2:08minutos
· La feria de Sevilla en abril http://www.spain.info/en/que-quieres/agenda/fiestas/sevilla/feria_de_abril.html Vista Sevilla http://www.visitasevilla.es
· Yabla en espa?ol
o Acentuación Parte 3: La división en sílabas https://spanish.yabla.com/player_cdn.php?tlang_id=en&id=11032
Todo Ele - Todoele.net es un espacio creado pory para profesores de espa?ol como lengua extranjera donde puedes encontrarinformación, materiales y recursos para la ense?anza del espa?ol. http://todoele.net/
Cervantes website: Lecturasgraduadas http://cvc.cervantes.es/aula/lecturas/
· CNN en espa?ol http://cnnespanol.cnn.com/
· New York Times en espa?ol https://www.nytimes.com/es/
· Huffington Post en espa?ol http://www.huffingtonpost.es/ e
El País – edición latinoamericana http://elpais.com/elpais/portada_america.html?cp=2
· Flooding in Perú - Peruvian Tania Monsalve from Sun Valley HighSchool shared that a Peruvian artist, Gianmarco, is going to record a verypopular song to help the victims of Peru. The name of the song is Hoy and is dedicated to Peru. GloriaEstefan has a video of this song in YouTube. Hoy Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mCOH9SAUS0&list=RD4mCOH9SAUS0 Hoy letra / lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKGaUPrjiVk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAay4DZX67E
· Spanish 2 - Hoy DespertéKatie Perry song Wide Awake in Spanish https://estudiafeliz.com/2013/02/24/song-activity-hoy-desperte-kevin-karla-y-la-banda-spanish-version-of-katy-perrys-wide-awake-el-preterito/ used lots of completed past tense preterite verbs. Lyrics https://estudiafeliz.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/hoja-hoy-despertc3a9-kklb-pretc3a9rito.pdf Thanks to Adam Brown for this song also.
· Spanish 2-3 Song Siempre Supe with worksheets and pointers on how to use in a lesson. http://profehanson.weebly.com/blog/kevin-karla-y-la-banda
· Spanish 2 – Giving Directions
o Mary Thomas from Piedmont HighSchool has activity for teaching tú commands using technology and giving andunderstanding directions. http://bit.ly/Spa23BDirections
· Spanish 2 – Capítulo 4A
o El mundo de juguetes(Authentic Resources) http://www.elmundodeljuguete.com.ar/ Compare prices for Argentine and imported toys. Comparetoys Argentine students have now with those you had as a child. Convert pricesin Argentine pesos to US dollars http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?From=USD&To=ARS
o Bebé de juguete: La bebé mu?eca Ariel come y duermecon los juguetes de bebés Compara lo que hace este bebé con lo que comían ybebían tus mu?ecos. YouTube video 6:47 minutos en espa?ol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfbjr0RfWU8
o Juguete Fidget Spinners in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaUdzNO0TI
o Fidget Spinners BBC Mundo video http://www.bbc.com/mundo/media-39876210?ocid=socialflow_twitter and activities by Martina Bex free reading Los Fidget Spinners: ¿Solución o Problema? https://martinabex.com/2017/05/12/los-fidget-spinners-free-reading-in-spanish-and-authres-activities/
· Spanish 2 – referencing the imperfect tense comían with how food consumption has changed over time. What theworld eats http://www.nationalgeographic.com/what-the-world-eats/
· Medical Spanish 2 - Spanish in the Medical Field YouTube video in English and Spanish 23:52 minutes. Good for individual review prior tothe final. Skip some parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koLUGJ6Hciw
· Medical Spanish 2 - Learn Spanish - Basic Vocabulary - Partsof the body YouTube video 6:03 minutes Good forindividual review prior to the final. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ZRlzyICQI
· Medical Spanish and Spanish 3 - 10 Phrases Every NurseShould Know in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-tRCm0jA0M
· Spanish 3 – Tik Tak Draw Videos about artists
o Antoní Gautí https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90IiKI9NSYU
o Frida Kahol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX8QsS8so50
o Salvador Dal’I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmT1niHXg6o
· Spanish 3 - 20 Minutos–Great articles of interest for Level 3 and above: Includes audio of the reading. Thanks toDennise Nelson of East Union MS for sharing. http://www.veintemundos.com/en/library/
o Los horarios en Espa?a http://www.veintemundos.com/magazines/169-en/
o ¿Cómo se celebra el fin de a?o en Cuba? http://www.veintemundos.com/magazines/165-en/
o Los secretos del café de Colombia http://www.veintemundos.com/magazines/160-en/
· AP Spanish – Technology Theme
o What’s App in video TikTakDraw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bmiSZO75-c
o NetFlix in video TikTak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZ4cckr1MU
o Instagram in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My0nYZk1Dkc
o Historia de Emojis in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3n50Fddd6c
o Mario Brothers in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6pzZVWhxU
o De Pokemon a Pokemon Go in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi34DvLb86U
o Historia de los Videojuegos in video Tik Tak Draw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptbOpoC86YE
o La Historia de Minecraft in video Tik Tak Drawhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJLZU_q1fgc